Shepherd’s Field

Shepherds still pasture their flocks around Bethlehem, where the shepherds heard the good tidings of Jesus’ birth from the angel of the lord who told them to go to Bethlehem to adore the child. Shepherds’ Fields, sometimes called Ruth’s Field, is near the village of Beit Sahur. Everywhere, evidence is found of Byzantine convents, and a Greek Orthodox Church covers a cave which has a fine fourth century mosaic floor. Another church, called “Campo Dei Pastori”-“Shepherds’ field” was rebuilt for the Franciscans by Antonio Barluzzi, in 1950.
The design of the church represents a shepherd’s tent and the light penetrating. The church through the glass openings of the dome recall the light that shone on the shepherds when the angel appeared to give them the tidings of Jesus’ birth. The walls are decorated with frescoes depicting the story of the shepherds and in the center of the church are an altar supported by bronze statues of shepherds.